Monday, June 8, 2009

Super Mega Publicist

So I've been out in NYC for about a month now. I know how important it is to maintain my blog. Its like, Twitter, if you never update your Twitter, then who cares?! So I'm promising myself that after today I will make more of an effort to blog more regularly.

Today, I had a meeting with Preston Green of WEA, who helped me get my career path started. One of the first questions he asked me was, "What do you want to do here?" I didn't know! I'd thought that I wasn't in the right department, that maybe doing Corp. Communications wasn't for me. Long story short, by the end I figured out that I PR is where I want to be. So Preston helped me to reach out to Richie Abbott in the WMG L.A offices, who gave me some sound advice: know everything and everyone in every place if PR is where you want to be! He then allowed me to reach out to Nadia Ali in the WMG NY offices, and the idea of a Fall Publicist internship came up!

Now this is something to think about. I want to do it, but I have to think about school and taking this last class that's only offered in Fall and then if I say, "Screw it all!" stay in New York until December, I have to work! I can't go on without being employed! I need to develop a social life, meet and interact with people my own age.

I realized that I wasn't taking this as serious as I should. I need to eat, sleep, breath and shit New York. I just need to make some money to do it! Now I'm trying to follow all who I can on Twitter, mega celebs or not, just people who even in the most miniscule way, could be a possible contact, or will post info about an event I can go to and network that way. I need to eat, sleep, breath XXL, Source, Vibe, AllHipHop.com and let this life and culture consume me.

So now what? Am I on the road to becoming a super mega- publicist? I sure as heck hope so! All thanks to Mr. Preston Green!

No comments: