Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Twitter

So the wonderful world of Twitter has opened me up to a new world of people, who, I don't think I would have otherwise met. I'm excited now, to see who else I might meet and where they might take me.

So far I was introduced to Collective Concepts PR Firm. I admire what they're doing: trying to branch out and shed being classified as "urban". Its good for black people to break away from the mold, and the clientele they intend to attract, I think will help them do that. I took the train all the way out to Crown Heights in good ol' Brooklyn, New York! All by myself! Which for me, was something amazing seeing as how I got the directions from Google Maps! I was exciting to take the train by myself! I took the 4 then hoped on the 2 got off at Franklin and walked up to Sterling Ave. to Collective Concepts. Did the interview, although, I don't think I got the position. Reason being is that either I was asked a question about group work and I answered honestly and pretty much said, "I hate it." If I didn't get it cause I was honest, so be it, but I didn't sacrifice my integrity! I hate group work, too many bad experiences. I'm a leader so its hard for me to follow and accept anothers POV. I'm glad for the chance to meet with Collective Concepts. Had it not been for them, I would have not ventured out and taken the train alone- they, in turn, shown me my own independence and strength, so thanks C.Concepts! Whether I'm apart of their team or not, I wish them the best and have every intention to maintain contact with the founder, Garnett.

I also met Tom Medvedich, The Source Magazine's photographer. Such a sweetheart! I haven't met him personally yet, but he has offered to take me out and introduce me to people, and that I am so greatful for. Based on his Tweets and Facebook status updates, he's a busy guy! I have checked out his work, and its impressive. Based on the things I've seen, he seems to be someone I can work with. I like people who put love into their work, cause at the end of the day, your work proceeds you. Meaning, people may see your work before they see or meet you. Do a sloppy job, people think you're sloppy. I was raised to take pride in my work, and I like to surround myself with people who do the same, and I think that Tom does that. I look forward to one day working with him.

JBusinessNYC is another person I met via Twitter. He's a GIANT Magazine intern and works with HOT97. He's doing his thing all over the place. I watch him closely, pay attention to what he does, maybe learn from him. If I'm going to get my PR on, I better keep him on file. Which brings me to my next noteworthy contact...

MikeBoydJr, who I met through JBusinessNYC. I haven't even met him in person but he's already hooked me up with a media event! I'm so excited about it, but I don't want to mention it cause I don't want to jinx it. But at this point I have nothing but love for him for reaching out to me and helping be build a social life! I was saying to my cousin this past weekend how I have -4 friends, cause all the friendships I thought I built, fell through! So MikeBoydJr, is from BK and he's going to stop by WMG tomorrow so we can "chat about this and that". Then its off to Happy Hour on Thursday. I hope, MikeBoydJr, will show me a side of New York and introduce me to some people, so I can get my publicist on!

So is this networking?

No comments: